How to Direct Change and End Stigma
Calling All Student Filmmakers!
For the past six years, The Directing Change Program and Film Contest has engaged young people throughout California to learn about the topics of suicide prevention and mental health in an innovative way: a film contest. The program is a unique opportunity for students to show their creativity and educate their peers about mental health and suicide prevention.
There are exciting new additions to the contest this year to open this opportunity to even more schools and students. Previously Directing Change exclusively accepted submissions from high school and college age students. It is now also open to 7th and 8th graders!
Directing Change also has new film categories this year. In addition to the Suicide Prevention, Mental Health Matters and Through the Lens of Culture categories, filmmakers can now also choose from the new SanaMente and Animated Short categories. We look forward to seeing the PSAs from animators and Spanish-speaking directors!
And if you are a school, be sure to visit the For Schools page to link up with resources to support AB 2246 on your campus.
The 2018 contest is currently accepting submissions, March 1. Visit DirectingChangeCA.org to learn more.
If you are not able to submit a film but still want to support the program, consider being a judge for the film contest. Judging will take less than two hours of your time and you can do it all at home! We are especially in need of Spanish speaking judges this year to review our new SanaMente category. Here’s how the judging program works:
- Judges will participate in a brief 30 to 45 minute judging orientation webinar in February or March. There are four dates to choose from.
- Between March 22 and April 2, 2018, you’ll review up to 12 film submissions and complete an online scoring form for each submission. Each film is 60 seconds.
- You will be listed as a judge on the Directing Change website and in the awards ceremony program.
The deadline to sign up is February 20. Visit the Judges page to learn more or to register as a judge.
Save The Date
Mark your calendar for the 2018 Directing Change Awards Ceremony. We will honor the top films on Tuesday, May 22 at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles. Find more event info and RSVP here.
Stay In Touch
- View, download and share hundreds of PSAs
- Like The Directing Change Program & Film Contest on Facebook
- Follow @DirectChangeCA on Twitter