Students: Become a Lime Green Ribbon Partner!
Student-Run Club Mini-Grant Program
Show everyone that your school promotes welcoming, healthy places to learn and live by becoming an Each Mind Matters/SanaMente Lime Green Ribbon Partner.
Here’s how the process works:
- Schools should be poised to implement mental health and wellness activities during the month of May 2018 to celebrate May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
- These schools make a commitment to promoting fresh, positive conversations and activities about mental health and wellness in California by taking specific actions.
- In return, they become eligible for the Lime Green Ribbon Partner designation (with lots of fun swag!) and a one-time award of $500 to help support their work.
Interested? Here are three, simple commitments all Lime Green Ribbon Partners make:
Step 1: Identify at least one student leader to be the Lime Green Ribbon Partner representative for your school.
Don’t worry, the role won’t require a lot of time. Choose someone who enjoys talking with others and would like to participate in Each Mind Matters: California’s Mental Health Movement. This representative will:
- Participate in a brief training with Each Mind Matters staff (1 hour, online or by phone).
- Be in charge of coordinating a mental health awareness activity on your campus during Mental Health Awareness Month in May 2018 (See Step 2 for more details).
Step 2: Host a Mental Health Awareness Month Activity in May 2018.
This is your chance to get creative! The possibilities are endless. Maybe you want to:
- Host a movie night that deals with mental health (we can provide suggestions).
- Deck the campus halls with lime green ribbons and positive signs of mental health and wellness.
- Show Directing Change videos at lunchtime or during morning announcements.
- Bring in a NAMI speaker with lived experience at lunchtime to talk about mental health recovery.
- Host a Directing Change suicide prevention messaging workshop for students, parents and teachers on your campus.
- Team up with other events on campus that are about health and wellness or diversity.
It’s up to you! We’ll provide a kit for creating an attractive and informative resource table and a toolkit with activity ideas to help you get conversations about mental health started in May. All you have to do is provide space for the materials at your event, and have your representative set up/clean up and staff the table.
Step 3: Choose at least TWO of your favorite actions from the list below and have your representative make sure they are implemented:
- Link to EachMindMatters.org from your school website. Some ideas for where to share the link: on your student life page, on your health services site or on your campus resources listings.
- Share the Lime Green Ribbon in a public area. Get free green ribbons from Each Mind Matters and our information card to leave for students in the health and wellness center, the student union or other public place.
- Share mental health information and resources from Each Mind Matters with your health services department to distribute to students.
- Host a fundraising drive at your school and match contributions to mental health organizations in your community.
- Feature stories, resources, and information from Each Mind Matters about mental health in your student newspaper, especially during May.
Student-run clubs selected as Lime Green Ribbon Partners will receive:
- Green Ribbon Partner window clings or stickers
- A free supply of green ribbons for public areas and events
- Each Mind Matters swag to show off their commitment to creating mentally healthy places to live and learn
- A one-time $500 award (to be used to fund your on-campus event; any remaining funds can be used for club operating expenses).